Despite my hopes, January 2022 looks a lot like January 2021. It feels like we are stuck in the same place with many things still out of our control. COVID cases are on the rise. Restaurants, gyms and movie theaters are closed. For me, the lack of control is difficult and I am longing for a real connection with others.
To counter these feelings I am focusing on the importance of one word. A word that is ever-changing and whose meaning we do have control over.
The dictionary defines balance as a condition in which different elements are in the correct proportions. To offset or compare the value of (one thing) with another.
Balance, then, is the relationship between two things that are both important to us. When we find a balance that feels right to us we feel happier and more at peace.
Balance is needed in many ways
- What we contribute to others AND how we take care of ourselves
- Living in the present AND planning for the future
- Being responsible AND saying NO
- Being strong AND asking for help
- Being in control AND accepting the unknown
- Managing our work responsibilities AND our personal responsibilities (the overused concept of work-life balance)
- Being realistic AND feeling grateful
- Having expectations AND accepting reality
I know for myself I need to find more balance between distancing myself from others because of COVID restrictions and yet also finding ways to maintain positive connections with friends. I think that walking with a friend, even at -20 degrees, will become my favourite pastime over the next few weeks as I aim to find my balance and maintain connections.
The beginning of 2022 is not what we expected. Remember to find things that you can be grateful for. Find things that you can feel in control of. Accept that a different balance might be needed in your life right now.